Cloud automation is a broad term that refers to a set of processes or tools that manage cloud computing technologies, such as hosting services and any ongoing services or processes. Automation connects the various resources, servers and storage facilities through software tools, allocating workloads and activities without the need for extensive human intervention.
Essentially, you could think of it as a type of account manager on your behalf that takes care of the manual busy work that makes up your cloud architecture.
Why would you want automation in the cloud?
Implementing automation for the cloud can help organizations improve efficiency, reduce errors, and ensure that resources are being used effectively and efficiently. In the event of a disaster, it allows the organization to recover with minimum RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and RTO (Recovery Time Objective). That’s because, done correctly, cloud automation isn’t heavily independent on individuals, instead reacting using preplanned frameworks that manage workloads on the user’s behalf.
How does automation in the cloud work?
The cloud automation process works by:
- Identifying the cloud resources and processes that can be automated, such as deployment, configuration, and scaling.
- Choosing certain automation tools, such as AWS CloudFormation or Azure Automation, or cloud agostic tools, such as Terraform, to meet the automation requirements of the organization.
- Defining infrastructure as code using a declarative syntax to automate cloud infrastructure management. Infrastructure as code allows you to specify the desired state of your cloud resources and automates the deployment and management of these resources.
- Creating templates for your infrastructure as code, a process that defines the resources you want to deploy and their configuration. These templates can be reused for other environments, too, making deploying the same resources easily replicable across multiple digital environments.
- Using automation to monitor your cloud resources and automatically scaling them up or down based on demand. This will help you optimize resource usage and reduce costs.
- Optimizing automation workflows by adjusting the workflows based on usage patterns and business requirements.
Easily applying security principles, thus re-deploying systems faster based on the latest secured instance images.
The value of having automation in the cloud
Automation can help organizations improve efficiency and resource utilization by eliminating manual processes and reducing errors. In addition, it can help the organization save money by reducing the time and effort required to manage cloud resources, comply with security and compliance requirements, such as data encryption, and scale their resources more effectively.
Main advantages of automation in the cloud
- Increases efficiency and reduces manual effort
- Enables faster and more accurate provisioning of resources
- Helps ensure consistency and standardization of infrastructure and configurations
- Facilitates compliance with policies and best practices
- Helps minimize errors and improve quality
- Enables scaling of operations and infrastructure.
Contact us and we will be happy to help