Data protection describes the process of protecting information, typically sensitive information that needs to be secured from damage, loss or corruption. In short, data protection is a form of security that encrypts data and makes it difficult to hack. Often protected data will sit behind a ‘door’ or entry code, which the user has to provide to access the data. In this way, developers can protect their products by only allowing the intended user to have access via the correct codes or passwords.
Why would you want data protection?
Data protection allows for a secure web-based process so that customers can trust their sensitive data is safe and secure and feel able to use the product for its intended purposes.
Legally, most companies and organizations are responsible for protecting their customers against unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification. Creating a robust data protection process demonstrates product value and commitment to security and provides customers peace of mind. Without it, the product may be simpler and easier to use, but the ramifications of customers having leaked data online means having a secure process against such a possibility is vital.
How does data protection work?
A solid data protection method/process should allow product design teams to:
- Assess current security measures and identify areas for improvement.
- Implement encryption measures to protect sensitive data at rest and in transit.
- Set up access control measures to ensure only authorized personnel can access sensitive data.
- Establish monitoring and auditing systems to detect and respond to real-time security incidents.
- Develop data handling policies and procedures, including classification, retention, and disposal.
- Provide employees with training and education to understand their roles and responsibilities in protecting customer data.
- Conduct regular security assessments and penetration testing to identify vulnerabilities and ensure ongoing compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Establish incident response procedures and conduct regular drills to test their effectiveness.
- Implement a disaster recovery plan to ensure data can be quickly and effectively restored during a security incident or natural disaster. This includes verifying and validating RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and RTO (Recovery Time Objective).
- Ensure all third-party vendors and service providers adhere to our data protection and security standards.
The value of data protection
A secure data protection process, working with cloud security, builds customer trust and demonstrates a commitment to security. This can help differentiate the product from competitors and win new business, particularly if the product is being sold to another organization which requires a secure process. It also allows developers and project managers to avoid costly security breaches and reputation damage.
Main advantages of data protection
- Helps ensure the confidentiality and privacy of sensitive data
- Facilitates compliance with data protection regulations and standards
- Helps prevent data breaches and data loss
- Enables effective data backup and disaster recovery
- Improves overall security posture of the organization
- Enhances customer trust and loyalty.
Contact us and we will be happy to help