Cross-platform and cross-device testing.
Cross-platform and cross-device testing describe an important part of quality assurance for product testing. Both are used to determine the behavior of an application in different environments, such as a certain internet browser, device, plug-in or another form that your product could take. Essentially there are dozens of possibilities regarding your devices and how they behave. What works on one device doesn’t necessarily work or look good on another.
Why would you want cross-platform and cross-device testing?
Cross-platform and cross-device testing are essential in today's digital age, where users access applications across multiple platforms and devices. One user may access your product via their phone, another their laptop. It’s essential you consider how different users see your product, as it greatly affects their experience. If your product needs a laptop or other plugin to work, you might consider making a reduced or limited access version that allows some interaction and redirects users to another device.
Cross-platform and cross-device testing should be implemented in the early design stages to make sure any and all concepts work for multiple devices.
How does cross-platform and cross-device testing work?
The process should follow a plan highlighting the different key users, design features and accessibility features customers will utilize. A basic plan should:
- Identify the key platforms and devices customers use to access the applications.
- Set up a testing infrastructure that automatically tests applications across different platforms and devices.
- Establish clear testing procedures and protocols to ensure tests are executed consistently and accurately.
- Develop a testing matrix that covers all possible configurations of platforms and devices.
- Use automation tools to increase testing efficiency and reduce testing time.
- Conduct manual testing to ensure the accuracy of the automated tests.
- Use cloud-native tools and services to improve the efficiency and scalability of the testing infrastructure.
- Monitor and track testing results to identify areas for improvement and ensure that testing is comprehensive.
- Continuously update the testing matrix to cover new platforms and devices as they become available.
Continuously monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the cross-platform and cross-device testing process, and make improvements as needed.
The value of cross-platform and cross-device testing
With the increasing complexity of software systems and the diversity of devices and operating systems, it is crucial to have a testing process that covers all possible configurations. By creating a cross-platform and cross-device testing process for cloud application testing, we can improve the quality of our applications and ensure a better user experience.
Main advantages of cross-platform and cross-device testing
- Done early, it ensures a quality look and feel across all recognized interfaces
- Captures more customers
- Stretches the potential of the product
- Ensures against visible system bugs
- Improves on speed, flexibility and deliverability
Contact us and we will be happy to help